Lower Byrd Farm is a 150 acre parcel at the confluence of Byrd Creek and the James River, and Route 6 located in Western Goochland. The farm land is rich bottom land, and all crops planted are located in the flood plain of the James River.
The farm was once home to the Monacan Indians whose capital, Rassawek was located near where the town of Columbia exists today. We find arrowheads and other Indian tools in the fields when we are working.
The Byrd Creek aqueduct located on our property was built around 1844 as part of the Kanawha Canal system and is now used as a railroad bridge by CSX.
There is abundant wildlife on the farm including deer, bear, fox, bobcat, coyote, beavers, raccoons, owls, possum, turkey, quail, song birds, and squirrels. You can also spot the terrier boys, Angus the Yorkie, Macaroni the Westie and Oscar the Cairn.
We farm about 105 acres in row crops in a pretty regular rotation of corn, soybeans and winter wheat, barley, or rye. We farm about 10 acres for the edible grain market and 4 acres planted in wine grapes (Norton, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sauvignon Blanc).
We have 20 acres planted in trees and grasslands along Byrd Creek and the James River as part of the Conservation Reserve Plan (CRP). We use no till planting and while not certified organic we do not use insecticides on the fields or crops.
May 19, 2011
Powhatan Farmers Market
4 pm until 7 pm
May 19, 2011 4 pm until 7 pm at the roundabout in historic Powhatan.